Marketing & Communications
The Marketing Director is a senior staff member responsible for leading marketing efforts to develop new and existing audiences and meet revenue goals for Met Opera mainstage and Live in HD performances.
The successful candidate for this position will be a smart, confident, creative, results-driven marketing leader with strong analytical skills and problem-solving abilities.
This position reports to the Assistant Manager of Marketing and Communications and will partner with Creative Services, Business Development & Strategic Initiatives, Website, Education, Media, Development, and other key departments as well as various external partners.
- Manage marketing staff, including Associate Marketing Director, Sales and Promotions Manager, Marketing Coordinator, Advertising Coordinator, Marketing Assistant, and HD Marketing & Press Manager (managed jointly with Communications Director). Provide leadership, support, and direction. Establish department priorities and manage project assignments.
- Oversee strategy and implementation of marketing plans.
- Collaborate with Creative Director on visuals and messaging for marketing campaigns and the Met branding.
- Manage Marketing expense budgets; monitor expenses and work with the Finance Department as necessary on all budget issues. Ensure responsible management of all marketing spending.
- Analyze sales patterns to inform and make adjustments to season plan.
- Manage the overall media plan including print, online, television, radio, and outdoor. Work with the Met’s advertising agencies and creative services team to develop and implement media schedule.
- Oversee management of direct mail, email, and social media marketing.
- Manage promotional partnerships with third parties and actively seek new partnerships. Work closely with Business Development Director to seek out strategic marketing opportunities.
- Work closely with Business Development Director to conduct market research to inform marketing strategy.
- Manage exceptional quality control of departmental output. Perform proofing and copywriting as necessary.
- Meet regularly with various departments to consult on marketing matters and ensure effective information flow.
- Represent Met marketing at external meetings, committees, and events.
- Serve as project leader or stakeholder on special projects as they arise.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor of Arts degree or higher
- 7+ years of broad-based marketing experience, preferably in the arts
- Staff management experience
- Knowledge of marketing and social media trends
- Experience with managing budgets, preferably in excess of $5 million in a not-for-profit environment
- Experience analyzing sales patterns and research to inform decision-making
- Media buying and negotiation skills
- Exceptional communication skills
- Quick study and quick thinker
- Strong multi-tasker; graceful under pressure
- Ability to build relationships and consensus across the organization
- Passion for the arts; knowledge of opera or high level of commitment and enthusiasm to learn
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Ability to work under tight deadlines and to handle many different projects simultaneously.
Please send resume with cover