Deputy Director of Major Gifts
The Metropolitan Opera is seeking an individual to become our new Deputy Director of Major Gifts. This individual will be a senior development officer responsible for the cultivation and solicitation of major donors and major donor prospects. The Deputy Director of Major Gifts will assist the Chairman of the Board with her solicitations, and supervise such administrative functions as preparation of monthly financial reports, solicitation and tracking schedules, and donor cultivation activities. He/she will be responsible for special programs and projects in the department. This position reports to the Director of Major Gifts.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and manage a pool of prospects currently giving or with the capacity to give $25,000 or more annually.
- Engage new major gift prospects in supporting the Metropolitan Opera.
- Assist with the stewardship of key volunteers and board members.
- Work closely with the Board Chairman on her solicitations, cultivation dinners/entertainment and act as key contact at the Met for her prospects.
- Prepare original documents for new fundraising initiatives.
- Supervise staff and assist with administrative functions, including preparation of donor event lists, monthly financial reports, program listings and solicitation and tracking schedules.
- Supervise Major Gift Officers in cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting donors
- Manage special fundraising projects and major gifts programs.
- Manage major gifts events including donor cultivation dinners, receptions and luncheons.
- Draft letters of solicitation, fundraising proposals and acknowledgements.
- Assist with fundraising for new productions.
- Co-host box parties with Director of Major Gifts.
- Attend evening gala events and serve as a host.
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- BA degree.
- At least 5-10 years senior-level-fundraising experience with an emphasis on individual solicitation.
- Comfort and poise working with high-level donors.
- Experience with international donors
- Solid experience interacting with Board members and meeting their expectations.
- Diplomacy, tact, and ability to skillfully handle donor situations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong computer and database skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Familiarity with the performing arts, particularly music a plus.
- Ability to work well with all personality types.
- Available for evening and weekend work.
- Ability to multi-task.
To apply please send resume with cover letter.