Marketing & Communications
The Met is seeking an individual to be our Press Associate in our Marketing andd Communications Department. Responsibilities for this position include implementing fundamental publicity functions including interviews and photo and video shoots, and support for all press activities, especially the promotion of the mainstage season. The Press Associate also provides essential support for both the Director of Communications and Press Director.
- Organizes and monitors both still and film photography throughout the house, including shooting dress rehearsals, backstage footage, interviews and photos with artists and staff, B-roll of the house, etc.
- Coordinates and plans with department heads details of shooting in sensitive. areas, particularly the stage, including proper union staffing for photo and video shoots.
- Notifies staff, artists, management, and production teams of press activities when appropriate.
- Organizes and facilitates interviews with Met artists with press both within the opera house and off site (television interviews, radio interviews, etc.) including accompanying artists to interviews and photo shoots off site (radio/television studios, etc.)
Press Releases and Media Alerts
- E-mails press releases, media alerts, cast changes, etc. to press list.
- Responsible for mailings of press materials including ticket service calendars, season brochures, etc.
- Proofs press releases, and is responsible for casting lists and other pertinent information to releases.
- Proofs and confirms casting, credits, etc. for Radio Broadcast pages of “Opera News” from November-May.
Press Inquiries and Tickets
- Responds and filters questions from press and general public concerning Met policies, casting, artists, operas, productions, opera in general, photo requests, etc.
- Tracks and facilitates all press ticket reservations; primary point of contact for press ticket requests
Press Conferences and Events
- Primary responsibility for logistical set ups of press conferences and press events: space reservations and set-up, catering, audio and video needs, rsvp lists.
- Compiles press kits and printed materials, press kit folders, clippings.
- Responsible for posting, updating, and maintaining press release section of website.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining “About the Met” section of the website. (Includes rosters for Administration, Orchestra, Chorus, Ballet, Music Staff, Board, etc.)
Video News Clips
- Obtains and copies video clips for news purposes, and distributes as necessary.
General Office Duties
- Shares primary responsibility of answering the phones.
- Acts as Office Manager; orders supplies and monitors office equipment.
- Responsible for Department Payroll.
- Sends out press photos.
- Ensures that releases, fact sheets, supplies, and refreshments are in the press lounge throughout the season.
- Performance Press Duty: interfaces directly with press before performances and at intermissions to provide information and answer questions (approximately one performance per week throughout the opera season)
Qualifications and Skill Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Good organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including Word, Outlook, Excel, and basic payroll and web update programs
- Knowledge of opera and classical music in general is helpful.
- Ability to handle many tasks at once in a fast-paced environment.
- Requires patient, pleasant, and professional demeanor, and understanding of artistic needs
- Willingness to help in a variety of unpredictable situations
- Willingness to take responsibility
Please send resume with cover letter